Tuesday 18 March 2014

How to make 'Bickford's' Style Lime Cordial


On the weekend I decided to make some lime juice cordial with the excess of limes from my tree. I followed Matt Preston's Lime Cordial recipe (with half the amount of sugar) and was pleasantly surprised at the result. I have been having a dash with soda water and it tastes so much like Bickford's lime cordial that I'm sure it would make a great lemon, lime and bitters. The best thing...1.5 litres cost me less than $1!


This is a recent shot of my lime tree which is fully laden with limes at all different stages, so it will be productive for the next few months. That's a lot of cordial!


INGREDIENTS

10 limes
4 cups water
3 cups sugar
2 tsp citric acid
1 tbsp tartaric acid


METHOD

Using a potato peeler, peel long strips of the zest off five limes.


Juice all of the limes.
Add the lime zest to the water in a saucepan, and bring to boil. 
Pour in sugar and powders and boil for 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and pour in the lime juice,  ideally through a sieve so your cordial does not become cloudy.
Bring the cordial back to the boil and gently simmer for two minutes.
Remove from heat, and when cool, funnel into sterilised bottles. Matt suggested Johnnie Walker bottles to keep with tradition, but I had a couple of Grants scotch bottles I kept for the shape, and they do the job just perfectly (I boiled them in a pan of water to sterilise).


So, there you have it. A really easy recipe that can be used with any type of citrus. So, if you don't have a lime tree, or oranges are on special, now you know what you can make.

Any more suggestions for lime recipes? I can see I am going to need a few more ideas :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...